James Bulger’s Mother ‘Disgusted’ Short Film About Her Son’s Killers Is Oscar Nominated

IndieWire | 2/12/1993 | Staff
marika (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://www.indiewire.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/01/Screen-Shot-2019-01-23-at-10.10.07-AM.png

Denise Fergus, mother of the late James Bulger, is speaking out against the short film “Detainment,” after it received an Oscar nomination for Best Live Action Short Film. Directed by Vincent Lambe, “Detainment” is a 30-minute short film about the police interrogations of Bulger’s killers, Jon Venables and Robert Thompson. The narrative film uses real transcripts and interview tapes from the interrogations. Venables and Thompson were 10 years old when they murdered two-year-old Bulger.

“I cannot express how disgusted and upset I am at this so-called film that has been made and now nominated for an Oscar,” Fergus said on Twitter. “It’s one thing making a film like this without contacting or getting permission from James’s family but another to have a child reenact the final hours of James’s life before he was brutally murdered and making myself and my family have to relive this all over again!”

Fergus - Everything - Film - Oscar - People

Fergus continued, “After everything I have said about this so-called film and asking it to be removed, it’s still been nominated for for an Oscar even though 90,000 people have signed a petition which has now been ignored just like my feelings by the...
(Excerpt) Read more at: IndieWire
Wake Up To Breaking News!