Astronomers discover an unusual nuclear transient

phys.org | 1/23/2019 | Staff
smnth28 (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://3c1703fe8d.site.internapcdn.net/newman/gfx/news/2019/3-astronomersd.jpg

An international group of astronomers has detected an unusual nuclear transient in the nucleus of a weakly active galaxy. The new transient was identified by the OGLE-IV Transient Detection System and received designation OGLE17aaj. The finding is reported in a paper published January 11 on the arXiv pre-print repository.

Although an increasing number of transient astronomical events in the centers of galaxies are being discovered by surveys like the Optical Gravitational Lensing Experiment (OGLE), such phenomena are challenging to detect and study. Given that transients could be explained by various violent deep-sky events, including supernovae, gamma-ray bursts, or tidal disruption events (TDEs), finding new ones is important to better understand their origin.

Paper - Astronomers - Mariusz - Gromadzki - Warsaw

In a recently published paper, astronomers led by Mariusz Gromadzki of Warsaw University Astronomical Observatory in Warsaw, Poland, reports the finding of a peculiar nuclear transient event in the nucleus of the galaxy GALEXASC J015624.70-710415.8, some 680 light years away from the center of the host. OGLE17aaj was detected by the OGLE-IV Transient Detection System in January 2017 and follow-up observations of this transient were performed subsequently using various ground-based and space telescopes.

"We report on the discovery and follow-up of a peculiar transient, OGLE17aaj, which occurred in the nucleus of a weakly active galaxy," the paper reads.

Researchers - OGLE17aaj - I-band - Magnitude - I-band

The researchers revealed that OGLE17aaj was detected at a host-subtracted I-band magnitude of about 21.0 and reached an I-band maximum magnitude of 20.0 in about 60 days. Afterward, the transient declined for about 200 days and appears to have reached...
(Excerpt) Read more at: phys.org
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Do I know who I am?