Nothing & Everything at Lincoln Monument

Juicy Ecumenism | 1/23/2019 | Mark Tooley
boti (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://juicyecumenism.com/wp-content/uploads/img_6793-1.jpg

The 1990s sitcom Seinfeld was bemusedly said to be about “nothing.” Having watched about two hours of videos about Friday’s events at the Lincoln Monument, they also seem to have been largely about nothing. But social media projections and hype have made them about everything.

There was no social media when I witnessed my first DC demonstration at age six when my mother took me to the massive May Day 1971 anti-war mobilization that tried to shutdown the federal government. Across decades I’ve seen lots of protests. Iranian students were tear gassed outside the White House protesting the Shah. Labor unions and anti-nuke activists marched against the Reagan administration. A protesting farmer parked his tractor in the mall for months. The KKK, all two dozen or so, tried to march down Pennsylvania Avenue but, but was confronted by thousands of counter protesters. So the Park Service instead put them on a Metro bus. Protesters rioted in response, smashing windows.

Protesters - White - House - Woman - Years

Protesters have been outside the White House for as long as I can recall. One troubled woman, recently deceased, parked herself there for 30 years with signage claiming the government had radiated her. The last time I gave money to a beggar, about 30 years ago, he ran across Lafayette Park to encamped marijuana rights protesters and bought a cigarette with my dollar.

When I worked at CIA as a young man, Amy Carter led protests there against USA policies in Central America. One woman waved a sign at me alleging my colleagues and I were murdering children. As a boy I marched to the White House and elsewhere to protest construction of highway I-66 near our home. One fellow marcher led a chant of “I SICK SICK!!” Another marcher began shouting at the White House as though Jimmy Carter were listening.

Time

The last time...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Juicy Ecumenism
Wake Up To Breaking News!