Tentative deal reached to end Los Angeles teachers strike

Mail Online | 1/22/2019 | Dailymail.com Reporter;Associated Press
Celtics2212 (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://i.dailymail.co.uk/1s/2019/01/22/19/8851122-0-image-a-69_1548186635118.jpg

A tentative deal was reached Tuesday between Los Angeles school officials and the teachers union that will allow educators to return to classrooms after a six-day strike against the nation's second-largest district, officials said.

Los Angeles Mayor Eric Garcetti, accompanied by leaders from United Teachers Los Angeles and the Los Angeles Unified School District, announced the agreement at City Hall a few hours after a 21-hour bargaining session ended just before dawn.

Approval - Teachers - UTA - Professional - Board

'I'm proud to announce that pending approval by the teachers represented by UTA and educational professional and this Board of Education we have an agreement that will allow our teachers to go back to work on the campuses tomorrow,' Garcetti said.

Union President Alex Caputo-Pearl said teachers would vote Tuesday and he expected approval.

Agreement - Officials - Press - Conference - Details

The agreement was broadly described by officials at the press conference and details were promised to be released later.

'I'm delighted we've reached an agreement with UTLA that provides teachers with a well-deserved salary increase, that will reduce class size, and add more support to our students and educators in schools including librarians, nurses and counselors,' said district Superintendent Austin Beutner.

Talks - Thursday - Garcetti - Urging

Talks resumed Thursday at Garcetti's urging.

The mayor does...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Mail Online
Wake Up To Breaking News!