Newark Airport resumes operations after two hour standstill due to drone sighting

Mail Online | 1/22/2019 | Marlene Lenthang For Dailymail.com;Associated Press
tiffcourt011 (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://i.dailymail.co.uk/1s/2019/01/23/06/8872186-0-image-a-50_1548223341273.jpg

Click For Video: https://videos.dailymail.co.uk/video/mol/2019/01/08/8331847625071152985/1024x576_MP4_8331847625071152985.mp4

Flight arrivals at Newark Airport in New Jersey were suspended for about two hours due to a drone sighting at a nearby airport.

Around 5pm the Federal Aviation Administration received two reports from flights headed to Newark of a drone sighting about 3,500 feet above Teterboro Airport, about 17 miles north of Newark.

Pilots - Drone - Feet - Plane - Approach

Pilots reported seeing what 'looks like a drone' within 30 feet of a plane during its final approach, according to Air Traffic Control audio obtained from LiveATC.

'There’s something flying here, we thought it might be a drone. There is definitely something there,' one person is heard saying.

Drone - Feet - Wing - Pilot

'Missed the drone by about 30 feet off our right wing,' a pilot reported.

As a result of the drone the incoming flights to Newark, one of the busiest airports in the world, were held briefly and delayed thousands of passengers. Arrivals resumed after two hours when no further drone sightings were reported.

Airport - Operating - EST - FAA - Reports

The airport starting operating as normal just after 7pm EST. The FAA had no reports of delays at the airport on its website.

Both Newark and Teterboro serve the greater New York City Area.

Passenger - Brett - Sosnik - United - Airlines

Passenger Brett Sosnik was on a United Airlines flight from the Bahamas bound for Newark when the pilot announced the flight would have to circle in the air due to the drone sighting in Newark airspace.

Sosnik said the plane circled for about half an hour.

'I - Drone - Air - Anything - Way

'I was looking around trying to find a drone in the air when we were closer to landing, but I didn’t see anything. There’s got to be a way to combat that stuff and not have it affect huge airports with such a little piece of technology,' Sosnik, a New York City resident, said.

Another United passenger flying to Newark had his flight diverted to Philadelphia due to...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Mail Online
Wake Up To Breaking News!