Variety: To Be Nominated For Best Picture, You Need A Woke Social Message

Hot Air | 1/22/2019 | Staff
dorkyrocker (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://hotair.com/wp/wp-content/uploads/2019/01/Oscars-statue.jpg

The Oscar nominees for Best Picture were announced today and you’ll be shocked to learn that all of the films in contention, save one or two, have a woke social message to offer. The pattern is so blatant that Variety’s chief film critic pointed out that this seems to be what matters most to Oscar voters:

The gradual decline of “A Star Is Born” during awards season has been, for those of us who love the film, a somewhat depressing spectacle to watch. But now that the decline is more or less complete, I think its meaning has at last become clear. “A Star Is Born” was, and is, a rapturous knockout of a romantic melodrama (it’s not as if I’m alone in seeing it that way), but it’s a movie that’s completely and utterly bereft of a social message. In 2018, that makes it seem (dare I say it?) more trivial than the other contenders. It’s just a love story. And though it’s a very grand love story, and was an extraordinarily huge hit, these days that isn’t enough.

Look - Year - Picture - Contenders - Panther

Just look at this year’s eight best picture contenders: “Black Panther” (a one-film revolution, and long overdue: the first epically scaled African-American superhero movie), “BlacKkKlansman” (a racial police drama of searing relevance), “The Favourite” (a costume drama of intense post-#MeToo consciousness about issues of female oppression and power), “Roma” (a drama of class consciousness and luminous empathy for a Mexican housekeeper, in an era when immigrants are being demonized), and “Vice” (a pointed political-satirical attack on the sins of a clandestine conservative demagogue).

Plus, a pair of movies that wear their social agenda in such a retrograde way that a lot of woke media types consider them to be beneath contempt, yet the agendas are still very much there: “Green Book” (a classic...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Hot Air
Wake Up To Breaking News!
A man rises to the greatness that is expected of him.