Twitter Deletes Some Covington Threats, Ignores Others

NewsBusters | 1/22/2019 | Staff
ajoy26 (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://cdn.newsbusters.org/images/screen_shot_2019-01-22_at_1.32.42_pm.png

Twitter took action against one account that promoted the false story about Covington students at the March for Life. The social media site also removed some tweets promoting violence, but still allows some verified celebrities’ violent threats to remain online.

Twitter deleted the original account that tweeted the deceptively edited video. But has allowed users to remain on their platform who tweeted calls to violence such as requesting followers to “fire on any of these red hat **** when you see them. On sight” and “punch him in the nuts and send me the video of it and I’ll send you all my albums on vinyl, autographed."

CNN - Tuesday - Morning - Twitter - Account

CNN reported Tuesday morning that Twitter suspended the @2020fight account that tweeted the video. Storyful editor Rob McDonagh noted that account itself seemed suspicious, because it featured “highly polarized and yet inconsistent political messaging, the unusually high rate of tweets, and the use of someone else's image in the profile photo." Information warfare researcher Molly McKew also noted that there was a network of anonymous accounts working in concert to spread the video’s reach.

Yet, while Twitter addressed the fake news, it largely turned a blind eye toward the violent, graphic threats levied at the Covington teens.

StreetCorner - Music - Owner - Michael - Buchanan

StreetCorner Music owner Michael Buchanan (@HouseShoes on Twitter) has tweeted multiple calls to violence against the conservative youths. “IF WE COULD WIPE THESE FAMILIES OUT WE WOULD BE IN A MUCH BETTER PLACE. **** THIS ****” as well as “LOCK THE KIDS IN...
(Excerpt) Read more at: NewsBusters
Wake Up To Breaking News!