The Economist: Stuck in a time warp, misses real news about Global South missionaries

GetReligion | 1/21/2019 | Ira Rifkin
Click For Photo: http://static1.squarespace.com/static/52c2df7ae4b0d215dded86fd/536fab69e4b00b0fd2515399/5c4611604d7a9ccfd0cf9e63/1548165650429/GlobalWire.png?format=1500w

The classically liberal British weekly, The Economist, is known for its authoritative, tightly written, analysis-infused news coverage. While I sometimes disagree with its editorial conclusions, I include myself among those who find The Economist a satisfying read.

But even the news outlets I favor the most are capable of sometimes publishing pieces that leave me wondering.

Case - Economist - Piece - Month - Spread

Such was the case with an Economist piece from earlier this month on the spread of Christian missionaries coming from the Global South (formerly known as the Third World) to North America and Europe — a 180-degree reversal from the historical pattern.

This reverse flow says a lot about the state of global Christianity. It speaks to the real possibility of the political and cultural West entering a truly post-Christian age. And it underscores how the Global South — Africa, Asia and Latin America — are likely to define Christianity’s future.

Economist - Bother - Online - Print - Story

But why now? Why did The Economist bother to publish, both online and in print, a story about a phenomenon that’s been picking up speed for several decades and play it as if they’d uncovered a breaking trend?

Why would a publication as exemplary as The Economist publish a piece that reads as if its been sitting in the magazine’s ever-green file for years?

Publication - Meetings - Guesses - GetReligion

Not sitting in on the publication’s editorial meetings, as I certainly haven't, means I’m only making (hopefully) educated guesses here. But that’s what we often do here at GetReligion, so here I go.

First, however, you might want to actually read The Economist article, so you’re better able to follow my thinking. It’ll take just a few minutes to get through.

Link - Magazine - Paywall - Case - Story

Here’s the link, though you may be stymied by the magazine’s paywall. In case you are, I’ll provide the story’s lede graphs, and a bit more.

Every two weeks Ali Nnaemeka, a Roman Catholic...
(Excerpt) Read more at: GetReligion
Wake Up To Breaking News!
"Tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive." C.S. Lewis