Boring Preaching

The Cripplegate | 1/16/2019 | Website
maddyb7 (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://thecripplegate.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/01/download.jpg

I’ve preached boring sermons. That’s why I don’t always like these kinds of quotes:

The preacher must never be dull, and he must never be boring…there is something radically wrong with dull and boring preachers.

Man - Themes - Preacher - Contradiction - Terms

How can a man be dull when he is handling such themes? I would say that a “dull preacher” is a contradiction in terms; if he is dull he is not a preacher. He may stand in a pulpit and talk, but he is certainly not a preacher.

But, Lloyd-Jones is right. I’ve had to assess what is “radically wrong” with myself at times. There is something wrong with my boring preaching.

What is wrong with boring preaching?

As the Doctor said, the Bible is not boring. So, preaching shouldn’t be either. And when we stand up to preach, we’re addressing our neighbor. We are to love our neighbor. One way to love them is to make preaching engaging. Boring preaching also communicates error about the Bible; that it is boring, irrelevant, powerless. Whatever the Bible is, it is not those things. For those reasons, preaching should not be boring.

Justice - Bible - Neighbor - Error - Thrill

I want to do some justice to the Bible. I want to love my neighbor. And I don’t want to communicate error about the thrill of God and his word. I want to grow in my preaching. These are some things that I hope will help me do so.

How we might avoid boring preaching:

Preach

Preach expositionally.

Expositional preaching is engaging because you are studying a new passage each week. There is a progression in the text; a logical flow that is visible. When a pastor preaches expositionally, it draws the congregation together on a journey through the book of the Bible. This will make for more engaging preaching.

Study - Sermons

2. Study hard for sermons.

The Bible is not boring. Every book is filled with engaging events,...
(Excerpt) Read more at: The Cripplegate
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Tagged: