Not as the World Sees It (RJS)

Jesus Creed | 1/22/2019 | Staff
Click For Photo: https://wp-media.patheos.com/blogs/sites/40/2017/03/684px-Bloch-SermonOnTheMount-268x300.jpg

Click For Photo: https://wp-media.patheos.com/blogs/sites/40/2018/04/Brooklyn_Museum_-_The_Exhortation_to_the_Apostles_James_Tissot-300x221.jpg

Last Fall I began reposting a series on biblical womanhood with intent to expand and extend. Today’s post is a lightly edited repeat of a post from the original series. My contention is that our only true authority is God, with all authority given to Jesus. God calls who he will, when he will, to carry out his work. As humans we are brothers and sisters who stand before Christ. Effective Christian leaders will model, or aim to model, Christ’s ethical teaching. As I’ve mentioned before I spend most of my morning commutes listening to streaming audio from Bible Gateway on the app on my phone. Although I usually listen to the NIV dramatized version, Eugene Peterson’s paraphrase The Message as read by Kelly Ryan Dolan lends variety and insight. Several passages seem relevant here.

At about the same time, the disciples came to Jesus asking, “Who gets the highest rank in God’s kingdom?”

Answer - Jesus - Child - Middle - Room

For an answer Jesus called over a child, whom he stood in the middle of the room, and said, “I’m telling you, once and for all, that unless you return to square one and start over like children, you’re not even going to get a look at the kingdom, let alone get in. Whoever becomes simple and elemental again, like this child, will rank high in God’s kingdom. What’s more, when you receive the childlike on my account, it’s the same as receiving me.

Jesus wasn’t telling his disciples to become (or behave) like toddlers or young children. The question that sets up this passage gives us the intent. Jesus was, once again, driving home a point about the kingdom of God (on earth as in heaven). The kingdom of God turns our this-worldly ideas of power and authority and position and pride over on their head. This has...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Jesus Creed
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Governemnt sponsored segratation of America, one household at a time.
Tagged: