M. Night Shyamalan Says He’s Had the ‘Glass’ Ending in Mind Since 2000 – But It’s Still the Wrong Choice

/Film | 1/22/2019 | Chris Evangelista
fofo (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://d13ezvd6yrslxm.cloudfront.net/wp/wp-content/images/glass-ending.jpg

Spoilers for Glass follow,obviously.

M. Night Shyamalan has completed his superhero trilogy with Glass, now playing in theaters everywhere. The film brings together both Unbreakable and Split for a denouement that left many critics (myself included) rather cold. In my humble opinion, the Glass ending feels like a betrayal of everything I held dear about Unbreakable. But according to Shyamalan himself, he always intended to end his saga this way.

M - Night - Shyamalan - Fashion - Glass

In true M. Night Shyamalan fashion, the ending of Glass has a whopper of a twist. In the movie, Unbreakable‘s David Dunn (Bruce Willis) and Elijah Price (Samuel L. Jackson) are locked up in the same mental hospital as Kevin Wendell Crumb (James McAvoy), the antagonist from Split. They’re under the care of Dr. Ellie Staple (Sarah Paulson). She’s trying to convince all three men that they don’t posses special abilities – they’re delusional. Of course, we know that’s not true. And at the end of the film, it’s revealed Dr. Staple does, too. She’s part of a secret organization devoted to cover-up any proof of people with special abilities. Basically, a cult that wants to wipe out superheroes. Oh, and then, all three main characters die. But the victory of Dr. Staple and her organization is short-lived, as people close to the three leads – David’s son (Spencer Treat Clark), Elijah’s mother (Charlayne Woodard), and Kevin’s, um, victim (Anya Taylor-Joy) – reveal the truth to the public.

So did this ending come out of left-field (because it sure feels that way), or was this Shyamalan’s plan all along, back when he started the trilogy with Unbreakable in 2000? According to the filmmaker, the latter is true. “I always thought it was a little bit of like an opera, even when I was starting on Unbreakable,” he told EW. “I thought this was...
(Excerpt) Read more at: /Film
Wake Up To Breaking News!