Arrow Season 7 Episode 10 Review: “My Name Is Emiko Queen”

TVOvermind | 3/19/2012 | Chris King
Click For Photo: https://www.tvovermind.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/01/Arrow-7.10.jpg

After a month-plus hiatus, Arrow returned tonight with its first new episode of 2019, and it was…fine, I guess. To be honest, there’s nothing truly horrible about “My Name Is Emiko Queen” (well, aside from the Diaz scenes, but that’s to be expected at this point); however, nothing throughout the hour really pops either. It all feels routine and moves rather slowly, especially for a mid-season premiere, and for an episode that features Oliver discovering that he has a long-lost half-sister, it should have provided viewers with, well, more Oliver.

For most of the running time of “My Name Is Emiko Queen,” Oliver is on the sidelines. After he brings Felicity a blood sample from the new Green Arrow, the two of them discover that Star City’s latest vigilante is the daughter of Robert Queen and thus Oliver’s sister. After that, it’s one convenient discovery after another (Oliver finds a storage facility of Moira’s that he had somehow never learned about over the course of all these years, and after two minutes of searching through all the items from that storage unit, he and Felicity easily uncover a letter that Robert Queen wrote to Walter Steele). But I’m okay with rushed, convenient plot mechanics like this if they lead to more powerful, emotional storytelling, and as of right now, I’m optimistic that the Oliver/Emiko storyline could be that.

Twitter - Arrow‘s - Story - Season - Oliver

As I mentioned earlier tonight on Twitter, so much of Arrow‘s story, from Season 1 through now, has been about Oliver grappling with the legacy of his father. Of accepting his father’s past sins. Of righting his father’s wrongs. Of, as he mentions explicitly in tonight’s episode, attempting to redeem his family’s name. However, there have been very few physical, tangible ways for Oliver to do this over the years. His relationship with William,...
(Excerpt) Read more at: TVOvermind
Wake Up To Breaking News!