The Complete Life — According to Martin Luther King, Jr.

Red Letter Christians | 1/21/2019 | John D. Barry
HelloimMe (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://www.redletterchristians.org/wp-content/uploads/2019/01/martin-luther-king-jr-memorial-at-washington-top.jpg

Whenever I read the words of Dr. King, I am struck by how clearly he understood the world’s problems. I also stand in awe of his belief in the power of the individual to do right and change the world. In one of Martin Luther King, Jr.’s lesser read works, The Measure of a Man, he says this:

“Therefore whatever affects one directly affects all indirectly. As long as there is poverty in the world I can never be rich, even if I have a billion dollars. As long as diseases are rampant and millions of people in this world cannot expect to live more than twenty-eight or thirty years, I can never be totally healthy even if I just got a good check-up at Mayo Clinic. I can never be what I ought to be until you are what you ought to be. This is the way our world is made. No individual or nation can stand out boasting of being independent. We are interdependent.”

Way - World - Words - Dr - King

“This is the way our world is made. … We are interdependent.” If only we remembered these words as we remember Dr. King and his legacy. Think of how different our world would be if we recognized that no nation, no segment of society, and no individual is more important than the whole human race.

In The Measure of a Man, King does what a good reverend would do (he was foremost a pastor) and preaches the Bible. From the Bible and philosophy, King speaks of three dimensions of a complete life:

Inner - Life

Your inner being (or inner life).

Other people, whom we serve by using our calling, skills, and gifts.

God

God himself, who is above all.

King describes this as a triangle:

Dimensions - Me - Life - Life

“These are the three dimensions of Me, and without the three being correlated, working harmoniously together, life is incomplete. Life...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Red Letter Christians
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Tagged: