Paying Tribute to Dr. King’s Life and Legacy Today

Uncommon God, Common Good | 1/21/2019 | Staff
oxboy (Posted by) Level 4
Click For Photo: https://wp-media.patheos.com/blogs/sites/307/2019/01/Civil_Rights_March_on_Washington_D.C._Dr._Martin_Luther_King_Jr._and_Mathew_Ahmann_in_a_crowd._-_NARA_-_542015_-_Restoration.jpg

Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. and the Civil Rights movement do not reside in the past. King’s life and legacy live on in people’s hearts, imaginations, and just and loving actions today. As poet and performer Emmett Wheatfall reminds us here in “Miles to Go,” the race is not over. We have “miles to go before we sleep.” Other voices join in the refrain below. I have asked several friends and colleagues in various settings to share about the import of Dr. King’s life and legacy for them, as they continue the journey. Here are their reflections paying tribute to Dr. King and the love and justice movement today. A key question we should ask ourselves is “Will our lives add to or detract from Dr. King’s legacy?”

“Today we remember Dr. Martin Luther King and his lasting legacy. In the midst of a time of unrest, racial divide, confusion, anger, dismay, despair and apathy, I still hold strong to his, no, our ‘Dream’ that we will not be judged by the color of our skin nor persecuted nor discriminated against. I have faith and believe that good will overcome evil.” Gloria Young, Community and Business Leader, San Francisco, California.

Time - Doctor - King - Hope - Contrast

“At the time, Doctor King embodied hope. The contrast between my life in California and my cousin’s in Arkansas was stark. I prayed every night his dream would come true for us as African Americans.” Jimi Calhoun, Pastor, Musician, Author of A Story of Rhythm and Grace: What the Church Can Learn from Rock and Roll about Healing the Racial Divide, Austin, Texas.

“The words and work of Reverend King still ring prophetic, guiding efforts of reconciliation world-wide. As a mixed race daughter of America, I share in his daily bridge-building work. Not only did he call for change in the heart...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Uncommon God, Common Good
Wake Up To Breaking News!