The New Testament in Three Words

Desiring God | 1/14/2019 | John Piper
normanorma (Posted by) Level 4
Click For Photo: https://dg.imgix.net/until-the-day-you-die-n6fwanxq-en/landscape/until-the-day-you-die-n6fwanxq-d35d37fe73563fc79b33ba7bf0ff1d9e.jpg?ts=1547828638&ixlib=rails-3.0.2&auto=format,compress&fit=min&w=800&h=450

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=liPvtuFc9d4

This clip is from “Make Your Life Count,” a message John Piper preached at the 2019 CROSS conference.

In his great mercy, God himself stepped into history in the person of his Son and took on a human nature so that he could endure for us his own wrath and bring us to himself in everlasting joy. What a wildly glorious gospel.

World - Thing - God - Flesh - Anger

The world has never conceived of such a thing that God is angry at them, and has taken on human flesh to intercept his anger so it doesn’t land on anybody who is in Jesus. That’s off-the-charts glorious. You just have to believe all the reality behind it. It doesn’t make any sense if you don’t have the worldview that I just described from the first point.

Now, where do I see that in Romans? Romans 8:32 says that God “did not spare his own Son but gave him up for us all.” God had an eternal Son, the exact representation of the Father, and he takes on human flesh, becomes a man, and gives up his Son in death. And then consider Romans 5:8: “God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us.”

Wrath - Love - God - Magnitude - Wrath

If you walk out of here and you say that we only talked about wrath, then I would say that you just don’t know what the love of God is unless you know the magnitude of his wrath. You don’t know what the love of God is. The world talks about the love of God, but they don’t have a clue what the love of God is. This is the love of God: while we were still wrath-deserving sinners, Christ the Son of God, sent by God in love, died for us. He bore God’s wrath for us — bore...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Desiring God
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Homeschool or State Thought Police School, you choose.
Tagged: