Seven Contemplative New Year’s Resolutions (That Are Worth Adopting Any Time of the Year)

Carl McColman | 1/21/2019 | Staff
Mkgirlz (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://wp-media.patheos.com/blogs/sites/388/2019/01/photo-1482329833197-916d32bdae74.jpeg

Click For Photo: https://wp-media.patheos.com/blogs/sites/388/2019/01/photo-1482329833197-916d32bdae74-768x562.jpeg

I know, I know — a blog post about new years’ resolutions several weeks after the year has begun?!?! What kind of craziness is that?

Sure — the first week of January is our culturally-sanctioned time for making promises to make the new year “better” — whether that means losing weight, going to the gym, decluttering the house, paying off the credit cards, being nicer to friends, or what have you. Cynics always love to point out that gyms sell plenty of new memberships each January, but by February all those new members seem to have faded into the woodwork. In other words, we seem to be much more fond of making resolutions than in actually keeping them — alas.

Sync - Rests - World - Resolutions - Hand

So maybe I’m a little out of sync with the rests of the world talking about resolutions now. But on the other hand, I think now is the perfect time to talk about making mindful choices.

After all, contemplative practice is all about perseverance—making a commitment and sticking to it over the long haul. This means, it seems to me, that writing about contemplation means honoring and supporting our long-term commitments, even when it may be no longer fashionable or newsworthy to do so. So several weeks into a new year, we either need to be congratulated for our new triumphs of discipline, or encouraged not to give up in those areas where we are struggling or faltering.

Way - Sense - Viewpoint - Promises - Yesterday

Either way, it makes perfect sense from a contemplative viewpoint to revisit the promises we made yesterday, today. And to revisit them again next week, and next month, and next season.

So here are seven promises that I have made, to seek a deeper and more disciplined contemplative practice for the year to come (and, hopefully, beyond). As I share these thoughts with you, I invite you...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Carl McColman
Wake Up To Breaking News!