Arizona Officer Kills Teen Boy With Replica Gun

Rare | 1/20/2019 | Silke Jasso
jenn1020 (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://coxrare.files.wordpress.com/2019/01/rare-7-2.jpg?w=1200&h=627&crop=1

PHOENIX (AP) — Police in a Phoenix suburb say a burglary suspect shot to death by an officer was a 14-year-old boy carrying a replica gun. Authorities say officers in the city of Tempe reported a suspect burglarizing a car Tuesday and that he ran away holding what appeared to be a handgun.

During the chase, police say he turned toward the officers. One officer perceived that as a threat and shot the suspect, who died at a hospital. Police said Wednesday that the teen had a replica 1911 airsoft gun in his possession, which they determined he had taken from vehicle along with some other items.

Shooting - Officer - Body - Camera - Police

They say the shooting was captured on the officer’s body camera. The police department did not immediately respond to a request by The Associated Press for access to the video. The name of the teen and the officer who opened fire haven’t been released.

But the ABC15 Arizona station interviewed a man and a woman identified as the boy’s brother and mother, who said they wanted police to explain what happened. The boy’s brother Jason Gonzalez said, “A police officer has a Taser gun right? Why not shoot a Taser at him? He sees a young boy, my brother wouldn’t shoot. I know he wouldn’t shoot.”

Interpreter - Teen - Mother - Sandra - Gonzalez

Speaking through a Spanish-English interpreter, the teen’s mother Sandra Gonzalez said: “If they want to tarnish my son, they are wrong.” “Apart from the fact that they killed him, they want to destroy him,” she said. “No....
(Excerpt) Read more at: Rare
Wake Up To Breaking News!
2KXVI