5 Ways Athletes Have a Unique Gospel Platform

The Gospel Coalition | 1/19/2019 | Staff
TaylorShaye (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://media.thegospelcoalition.org/wp-content/uploads/2019/01/16101621/athlete-tgc.jpg

Do you know how the late R. C. Sproul came to faith in Christ? Through a football player.

In his obituary on Sproul, Justin Taylor recaps the story:

R - C - September - Weekend - Semester

R. C. was reborn in September of 1957 during the first weekend of his first semester at Westminster College, a progressive Presbyterian school an hour north of Pittsburgh. Following freshman orientation, R. C. and his roommate (whom he had played baseball with in school) wanted to leave their dry campus to go to a neighboring town to drink. When they got to the parking lot, R. C. reached his hand in his pocket and realized he was all out of Lucky Strike cigarettes. They returned to the dorm, which housed a cigarette machine.

As he started to put his quarters in the machine, the school’s football star invited them to sit down at a table. He began asking them questions. They ended up talking for over an hour about the wisdom of God. What struck R. C. was that for the first time in his life, he was listening to someone who sounded like he knew Jesus personally. The football player quoted Ecclesiastes 11:3 (“Where the tree falls in the forest, there it lies”) and R. C. saw himself as that: dead, corrupt, and rotting. He returned to his dorm that night and prayed to God for forgiveness. He would later remark that he was probably the only person in church history to be converted through that particular verse.

Matt - Chandler - Christ - High-school - Football

Matt Chandler was also converted to Christ through his high-school football team. “I’m going to tell you about Jesus,” Matt’s football teammate told him. “When do you want to do it?”

God uses ordinary athletes to bring glory to his name. This shouldn’t surprise us, since Christian athletes have a unique opportunity.

Football - Years

I played football for six years. I...
(Excerpt) Read more at: The Gospel Coalition
Wake Up To Breaking News!