Chicago restaurateur's fine-dining offer to the Clemson Tigers divides Twitter

Mail Online | 1/18/2019 | Anneta Konstantinides For Dailymail.com
k.collazi (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://i.dailymail.co.uk/1s/2019/01/18/01/8675738-0-image-a-37_1547775259921.jpg

Click For Video: https://videos.dailymail.co.uk/video/mol/2019/01/15/3574479805538780299/1024x576_MP4_3574479805538780299.mp4

A Chicago restaurateur's offer to treat the Clemson Tigers has divided Twitter, with some calling the gesture an 'opportunistic stunt'.

But others, including a McDonald's chef and a Clemson player, have come to Nick Kokonas' defense after he reached out to the college football national champions.

Kokonas - Co-owner - Alinea - Group - Players

Kokonas, co-owner of the Alinea Group, decided to invite the players for a feast at some of his acclaimed restaurants after Donald Trump fed them fast food.

The president proudly proclaimed he had spent thousands on Wendy's, Burger King, McDonald's, and Domino's Pizza for the players on Monday because the White House's caterers weren't working during his ongoing government shutdown.

'I - College - Football - Clemson - Tigers

'I could care less about college football. But I'm personally inviting the Clemson Tigers team and coaches to Chicago to experience what an actual celebration dinner should be,' Kokonas tweeted on Tuesday night.

'I'm not joking. Someone let them know what The Alinea Group does. It'll be worth it @ClemsonTigers.'

Alinea - Group - Restaurants - Alinea - Next

The Alinea Group includes the restaurants Alinea, Next, Roister and The Aviary. Alinea has three Michelin stars, the most that can be awarded to a restaurant.

Alinea's chef, Grant Achatz, has been called one of the world's most influential and had an entire episode devoted to his career on the second season of Chef's Table.

'It - Football - Dignity - Honor - Example

'It's not about football. It's about dignity, honor, and example,' Kokonas explained in a separate tweet.

'This is about showing them how a proper celebration looks in adulthood. And fun too.'

Kokonas - Offer - Football - Players - Big

But some were unimpressed with Kokonas' offer, believing that the football players would have far preferred to eat $4 Big Macs.

'HA! Owner of @Alinea in Chicago (used to be a big deal fancy restaurant) thinks football players would have rather eaten there than Big Macs in the White House,' tweeted Kevin DuJan, who describes himself as a...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Mail Online
Wake Up To Breaking News!
A single death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a Government intervention.