Tulsi Gabbard apologizes to LGBTQ community over past rhetoric, stances: 'I said and believed things that were wrong'

Business Insider | 1/17/2019 | John Haltiwanger
Cayley1561 (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://amp.businessinsider.com/images/5c40f946b492cb4a693e0ebc-1920-960.jpg

Democratic Rep. Tulsi Gabbard of Hawaii, who is running for president in 2020, released a video on Thursday in which she apologized for past statements and actions regarding the LGBTQ community.

Gabbard said she'd evolved and that she was "deeply sorry."

Gabbard - Father - Organization - Bill - Unions

Gabbard worked for her father's anti-gay organization in the early 2000s and opposed a bill legalizing same-sex civil unions as a state legislator in Hawaii in 2004.

Democratic Rep. Tulsi Gabbard is already facing the first controversy of her 2020 campaign for president, and it comes less than a week after her ambitions of ending up the White House were made public.

Gabbard - Thursday - Video - Rhetoric - Stances

Gabbard on Thursday released a video apologizing for her past rhetoric and stances toward the LGBTQ community.

The Hawaii congresswoman said, "In my past I said and believed things that were wrong, and worse, hurtful to people in the LGBTQ+ community and their loved ones."

Years - Words - Impact - Apology - Today

"Many years ago, I apologized for my words and, more importantly, for the negative impact that they had. I sincerely repeat my apology today," Gabbard added. "I'm deeply sorry for having said them. My views have changed significantly since then, and my record in Congress over the last 6 years reflects what is in my heart: A strong and ongoing commitment to fighting for LGBTQ+ rights."

Since Gabbard announced she's running for president, her past statements and legislative behavior toward the LGBTQ community have swiftly come back to haunt her as many have expressed doubts about her progressive credentials.

Gabbard - Organization - Father - Alliance - Traditional

Gabbard in the early 2000s worked for an anti-gay organization led by her father, The Alliance For Traditional Marriage.

Moreover, as a 22-year-old state legislator in Hawaii in 2004, Gabbard testified against a bill legalizing same-sex civil unions. She decried "homosexual extremists" as she rejected the legislation.

"To try to act...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Business Insider
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Would you let a person who could only get a government job run your life? Well don't!