Roma's Yalitza Aparicio says new film reminded her of growing up in Mexico

Mail Online | 1/17/2019 | Charlotte Dean For Mailonline
Click For Photo: https://i.dailymail.co.uk/1s/2019/01/17/11/8644020-0-image-a-73_1547724167207.jpg

She is the break out star of critically acclaimed Netflix film Roma.

And Yalitza Aparicio has revealed that she drew on her own experience growing up in Mexico while shooting her new hit film for the streaming site.

Actress - Narrative - Story - Back - Childhood

The 25-year-old actress claimed that the narrative of the story took her back to her childhood, where she was afraid to express herself due to fear of the government.

She told the Hollywood Reporter: 'It reminded me of everything that we students had been through in Mexico…You're always afraid that if you express yourself the government is going to silence you.'

Yalitza - Character - Things - Country

Yalitza revealed that she really gelled with the character and admitted that it made her evaluate how static things have become in the country since she was young.

She said: 'I recognised that woman. We had demonstrated and it could have ended in the same way. It made me realise just how little things have changed in Mexico.'

Roma - Winner - Year - Critics - Choice

Roma proved to be the big winner at this year's Critics' Choice Awards, scooping an impressive four trophies — including the highly coveted Best Picture crown.

The Netflix drama beat out such box office hits as Black Panther, BlacKkKlansman, The Favourite, First Man, Green Book, A Star is Born, If Beale Street Could Talk, Mary Poppins Returns and Vice at the ceremony on Sunday evening.

Yalitza

Yalitza, who played...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Mail Online
Wake Up To Breaking News!