M-Appeal Acquires Berlin Panorama Title ‘Greta’ (EXCLUSIVE)

Variety | 1/17/2019 | John Hopewell
Click For Photo: https://pmcvariety.files.wordpress.com/2019/01/pedro-marco-nanini-and-daniela-denise-weinberg.jpg?w=700&h=393&crop=1

M-Appeal has acquired world sales rights to “Greta,” the feature debut of Brazil’s Armando Praça which will world premiere in this year’s Berlinale Panorama section.

The Berlin-based film industry has also dropped an international trailer, to which Variety has had exclusive access.

Carnaval - Filmes - Credit - Titles - Marcelo

Produced by Carnaval Filmes, whose credit include major titles by Marcelo Gomes, one of Brazil’s most prominent directors (“The Man of The Crowd“, “I Travel Because I Have to, I Come Back Because I Love You“, “Cinema, Aspirins and Vultures“), “Greta” turns on Pedro, a 70-year-old gay hospital nurse. The film begins with his attempting to care for his best friend, Daniela, a transgender cabaret singer who refuses further treatment for terminal kidney failure.

Pedro vacates a hospital bed for Daniela by helping Jean, wounded and under arrest for manslaughter, to escape from hospital arrest. Hiding Jean in his apartment, Pedro begins an unlikely affair with the much younger man.

Greta - Pedro - Mascara - Ambulance - Daniela

“Greta” begins with Pedro wiping off his mascara as he climbs into an ambulance to accompany Daniela to hospital. His bonding – especially Jean’s affection and respect for him, helps Pedro accept his gay self and female persona – Greta Garbo.

“Greta” depicts a queer, inter-generational Brazil, and a little filmed marginalized world of cabarets and sex saunas of Fortaleza, in North-East Brazil.

Coming - Age - Drama - Greta - Solitude

A tardy coming of age drama, “Greta” also turns on solitude. “I am interested in looking at these marginalized characters with affection,...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Variety
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Don't believe everything you think...