'Teachers' Uses School Shooting Tragedies as Comedic Fodder, Mocks Gun Owners

NewsBusters | 1/16/2019 | Staff
vpp1219 (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://cdn.newsbusters.org/images/teachers_-_thoughts_and_bears_-_10_15_26_pm.jpg

TV Land’s comedy Teachers decided to compare apples to oranges (actually, guns to bears), and mock gun owners and Second Amendment advocates in Tuesday’s episode, “Thoughts and Bears.”

Apparently, the writers thought it would be hilarious to make light of tragic school shootings with farcical slapstick scenes involving a dangerous bear that a neighbor refuses to fence in with lines like, “I’m a very responsible bear owner,” “We don't want to get rid of bears. We just want…some extra safety measures.”

Beginning - Episode - Teachers - School - Playground

In the beginning of the episode, the teachers watch from the school playground as a neighbor moves in across the street with a giant pet bear. Later, in the teacher’s lounge, they discuss their concerns about the bear and it becomes apparent that the writers are trying to make a comparison with guns.

“Why would anyone own a bear, especially near a school? I mean, what's to stop it from walking onto campus?” Cecilia Cannon (Caitlin Barlow) asks. “If it's a pet, he's overcompensating,” Chelsea Snap (Katy Colloton) answers. “You know what they say: Big pet, little dick.” “I'll go talk to him,” Mary Louise Bennigan (Katie O’Brien), the show’s “extremely religious” and conservative character, chimes in. “I'm sure once I express our concerns, he'll be reasonable and put up a fence.”

Gary - Hey

Gary: Hey there.

Mary Louise: Oh, well, welcome. And it's lovely to see what you've done with the place, the porch furniture, the potted plants, and did I happen to notice a loose bear?

Gary - Boy - Chaucer - Pistol

Gary: Oh, yeah, that's my boy, Chaucer. He's a real pistol.

Mary Louise: I bet he is. It's just, I'm a little concerned about a bear living across the street from a school.

Gary - Chaucer - Property

Gary: Don't worry, I would never let Chaucer off my property.

Mary Louise: Oh, I know you wouldn't, Gary, but you can't be with Chaucer 24 to the 7....
(Excerpt) Read more at: NewsBusters
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Don't believe everything you think...