Sabbath-ing Reminds Us That
Jesus Is Our Rest

(in)courage | 1/15/2019 | Staff
tictac399 (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://www.incourage.me/wp/wp-content/uploads/2019/01/20190116-Costea-Rest-1200x858.jpg

2018 was supposed to be my year of rest. I knew it back in January when I asked Him what my word for the year was. He whispered it urgently, Rest.

Like Sarah of old, I wanted to laugh inside, to hide. Rest? How? But as always, He knows just what we need. And deep inside, deeper than the laughter and the doubt, I knew it was true. Exhaustion had driven me to the point of headaches and little mistakes and once or twice, even feeling unsafe while driving. Running on empty had emptied me.

Classes - Chores - Projects - Family - Day

I wanted to obey, but there were classes I couldn’t cancel, chores and projects I couldn’t postpone, a family I’m very grateful to care for every day. Life doesn’t wait just because we need to rest.

At first, I felt like a failure. I couldn’t do this one thing, this good thing, God had asked of me. But I learned there was one thing I could do. I could schedule one hour of down time each afternoon when homeschool lessons were finished. One hour to do what we love best: reading together.

Answer - Problem - Books - Characters - Answer

I thought the reading itself was the answer to the problem (we really, really love to read), but it was much more than that. In the books we read, we met characters who made the answer come to life.

Around our tiny kitchen table, with cups of tea in our hands and coloring pages in front of the toddlers, we stumbled upon a humble Jewish family living in New York’s East Side in the early 1900’s. They lived on a budget, like us. They had busy days with school and work and friends, like us. Most importantly, they wanted to honor the Lord, just like us.

Dad - Side - Family

Maybe it’s because my Dad’s side of the family is Jewish. Maybe it’s...
(Excerpt) Read more at: (in)courage
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Tagged: