Hey! Almost every Bible has important information some of us miss.

Eidos | 1/15/2019 | Staff
iceyy (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://wp-media.patheos.com/blogs/sites/169/2019/01/41337435-56C4-4D90-A3A9-C77AD37F73BB.jpeg

Click For Photo: https://wp-media.patheos.com/blogs/sites/169/2019/01/41337435-56C4-4D90-A3A9-C77AD37F73BB-768x404.jpeg

This is a Bible I used as a teenager. Note that textual problems and work are mentioned!

Knowing how to read old books is hard work, yet harder still is the work scholars do making old works in other languages ready for us to read. The books of the Bible are translated for us by scholars from such ancient manuscripts and I am in awe at the work they do.

Thing - Bible - Science - Art - Translation

A great thing about almost every English Bible is that some of the science and art of putting together a translation of an old book is given to all the rest of us by the translators. If you are reading the Gospel of John, almost every Bible on my shelf of translations (all but one pew Bible) will point out that the “woman caught in adultery” story does not appear in the earliest manuscripts of John.

What you make of that? Talk about it if you care. Research what this means, but notice that nobody is hiding the “problem” from you. Most Bibles will point out alternative readings for passages or where the translators have made a choice that was contentious to the group of translators.

Openness - Strength - Majority - Groups - No

This openness is an important strength of the vast majority of Christian groups. No significant group of Christians thinks there is an untainted, perfect copy of any Bible book. Why didn’t God preserve one?

That’s an interesting question, but begin asking with the fact that if you thought there was one perfect Bible copy your own copy of the Bible was telling you that you had misunderstood the Bible and the function of that text in the Church. This is not putting down the role of the Bible in Christian life, God forbid! Instead, it is reminding all of us of what we know: God so loved the world,...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Eidos
Wake Up To Breaking News!