A painful lesson from the Jeff Bezos divorce

www.christianpost.com | 1/14/2019 | Staff
oxboy (Posted by) Level 4
Click For Photo: https://static-thechristianpost.netdna-ssl.com/files/original/thumbnail/22/94/229468.jpg

This is not a slam on Jeff Bezos, either explicitly or implicitly. This is not an attack on the rich. Or on liberals. Or on any other group of people.

All kinds of people have marital problems. Evangelical Christians commit adultery. Conservatives divorce and remarry. Poor people experience broken homes.

Documentation

All this is self-evident and needs no documentation.

The sobering lesson is that, as the Beatles sang, money can’t buy us love. Or peace. Or contentment. Or a stable marriage. Or a sense of purpose. Or morality. Or freedom from inner demons.

Fact

In fact, it’s often true that the more we have, the less content we are.

To be clear, poverty is not the key to happiness. Or peace. Or contentment. Or marital stability. Far from it.

Poverty - Poverty - Poverty - Anything - Blessing

Poverty is draining and demeaning. Poverty is burdensome. Poverty, in and of itself, is anything but a blessing.

On the flip side, I don’t know anyone who thinks, “If only I were poor! Then I’d be happy and content.”

Hardly.

But I know many who think, “If only I had more money! If only I were rich! Then I’d be happy and content.”

Not so.

As Jesus warned, “Watch out! Be on your guard against all kinds of greed; life does not consist in an abundance of possessions” (Luke 12:15).

Warning - Things - God - Luke

He also gave a warning to those who “[store] up things for themselves but [are] not rich toward God” (Luke 12:21).

The real question, then, is, are we rich toward God? Are we rich on the inside? That’s the key to contentment, joy, purpose – and a healthy marriage.

Children - Kids - 3-15 - Children - Home

Some of the most content children I have ever met were kids aged 3-15 who lived in a children’s home in India. Some were orphans. Others came from families experiencing great hardship who were unable to care for their children.

These kids had a school uniform to wear and...
(Excerpt) Read more at: www.christianpost.com
Wake Up To Breaking News!