ASK FATHER: Feasts of new saints in the Traditional Latin Mass

wdtprs.com | 1/12/2019 | View all posts by Fr. John Zuhlsdorf →
applekip (Posted by) Level 3

QUAERITUR:

I was able to attend the talk by Dr. Peter Kwasniewski the other night in Minneapolis but so many hands were going up I was not able to ask my question. Do you think at some point the 1962 Missal will be revised, even if in another century? Just thinking it’d be good to add some saints like St. Theresa of Kolkata. Your opinion on this please.

Ah - Dr - K - Place

Ah, the nearly-ubiquitous Dr. K in my native place. I’m sure that was engaging.

To the question.

YES - Sooner - Missal - Respect - Cycle

YES and the sooner the better. The traditional Missal can and ought to be updated in respect to the “Sanctoral Cycle”, the Propers for Saints. This would be an obvious element of “mutual enrichment” from the newer to the older form in a way that the older form would be left stable and unsullied.

This sort of change is simultaneously extremely easy and normal, and also very thorny and difficult.

Missal - Saints - Feasts - Calendar - Pius

It is easy and normal in that the Missal was constantly updated as new saints were canonized and feasts were introduced into the calendar. Pius V issued the Roman Missal in 1570. Already in 1571 Pius introduced the new Feast of Our Lady of Victory. This is what we do: we adjust and adapt those things which can shift according to time and trends. Devotion to particular saints rises and falls off over time, depending on the needs of the time. We have always adjusted the calendar and our Missal in accord with the times, in respect to the sanctoral cycle.

It is thorny and difficult in that we have two active calendars right now in the Roman Rite. The Novus Ordo calendar has been massively changed...
(Excerpt) Read more at: wdtprs.com
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Tagged: