French Public Broadcaster, Producers Sign Deal to Squeeze Out Netflix

Variety | 1/11/2019 | Elsa Keslassy
Click For Photo: https://pmcvariety.files.wordpress.com/2019/01/5216e49d316b97593fd7fa01eeb7e1f3a64be9f1-1.jpg?w=700&h=393&crop=1

As it prepares to launch a join streaming service with TF1 and M6, French public broadcaster France Televisions has signed a three-year pact with five local producers guilds to have exclusive rights to all the original drama, documentary and animation content that it co-finances.

Under the agreement, France Televisions will own rights to programs for all windows, from free-to-air to SVOD. The deal is a blow to Netflix, for which France Televisions has been the top supplier of French library content.

Pact - France - Producers - SPI - SATEV

The pact was signed by France’s main producers guilds: SPI, SATEV, SPECT, SPFA and USPA. These include high-profile producers such as Haut et Court (“The Returned”), Bonne Pioche (“March of the Penguins”), Camera Lucida (“The Enemy”) and Mon Voisin Productions (“Call my Agent!”).

This latest development was expected as France Televisions recently announced that it was partnering with France’s two commercial networks, TF1 and M6, to launch Salto, a unified streaming service. Although the service has yet to be greenlit by the French anti-trust board, France Televisions’ agreement with the producers guilds means that it will have streaming rights to the series, documentaries and animated programs it co-finances from 2019 to 2022.

Sandra - Bullock - Moms - Who - See

Sandra Bullock Moms Who See 'Bird Box' Will Think: 'That River Is My Journey as a Parent'

The deal follows an internal dispute over the sale of France Televisions hit show “Call My Agent!” to Netflix, which offers the first and second seasons in more than 60 territories and currently streams the third season simultaneously with its being aired on the pubcaster. Although the sale of “Call My Agent!” to Netflix was...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Variety
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Don't believe everything you think...