Bernie Sanders apologizes to 2016 campaign aides who complained of sexual harassment

Mail Online | 1/10/2019 | Emily Goodin, U.s. Political Reporter For Dailymail.com
liizu (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://i.dailymail.co.uk/1s/2019/01/10/20/8373464-0-image-a-44_1547150938862.jpg

Sen. Bernie Sanders apologized to women who were sexually harassed on his 2016 presidential campaign and thanked them 'from the bottom of my heart for speaking out.'

'It appears as part of our campaign there were some women who were harassed or mistreated. And I thank them from the bottom of my heart for speaking out. What they experienced was absolutely unacceptable and certainly not what a progressive campaign or any campaign should be about,' he said Thursday on Capitol Hill.

Allegations - Behavior - Campaign - Workplace - Country

'The allegations that I have heard, that you have heard, speak to unacceptable behavior, that must not be tolerated in any campaign or in any workplace in our country,' he noted.

'To the women in our campaign who were harassed or mistreated, I apologize. Our standards, our procedures, our safeguards were clearly inadequate,' he added.

Apology - Statement

He also tweeted an apology and a statement.

'We can't just talk about ending sexism and discrimination. It must be a reality in our daily lives. That was clearly not the case in 2016,' he wrote.

Sanders - Defense - New - York - Times

Sanders has been on defense since the New York Times reported that several women on his 2016 campaign reported episodes of sexual harassment, demeaning treatment, and pay disparity. And Politico reported that several women on his 2016 campaign signed a letter requesting a meeting with Sanders and his leadership team 'to discuss the issue of sexual violence and harassment on the 2016 campaign.'

The reports have raised questions about the viability of a possible 2020 campaign, his progressive credentials, and his credibility with women, who are a force in the Democratic Party.

Sanders - Apology - Politico - Allegation - Campaign

Sanders' new apology comes after Politico reported on an allegation a female campaign staffer made against Robert Becker, who oversaw Sanders' Iowa campaign and other operations.

Sanders told reporters on Capitol...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Mail Online
Wake Up To Breaking News!