How Our Culture Justifies Its Sexual Freedom (the 10 Commandments of Progressive Christianity #9)

The Aquila Report | 1/11/2019 | Staff
Kezzerxx (Posted by) Level 3
As we turn to the ninth commandment, the progressive emphasis returns with vigor: “We should care more about love and less about sex.” Of all the postmodern cliches that abound, this one may be the most common. And it’s quite effective, rhetorically speaking. After all, it tells people what they already want to hear.

I continue to (slowly) work my way through my series on “The 10 Commandments of Progressive Christianity.” It’s an examination of 10 core tenets of progressive (or liberal) Christianity offered by Richard Rohr, but really based on the book by Philip Gulley.

Numbers - Chapters - Gulley - Book - Things

Those keeping up with the numbers will notice that I skipped #7 and #8. Well, that is because those chapters in Gulley’s book were decidedly not progressive. Indeed, I agreed with many things in those chapters and found them helpful.

But, as we turn to the ninth commandment, the progressive emphasis returns with vigor: “We should care more about love and less about sex.”

Cliches - People - Freedom - Time - People

Of all the postmodern cliches that abound, this one may be the most common. And it’s quite effective, rhetorically speaking. After all, it tells people what they already want to hear. They want to hear that they have all the sexual freedom they desire and, at the same time, that they are good people who are just about “love.”

It allows a person to keep their questionable behavior and congratulate themselves on their own moral superiority–at the same time.

Gulley - Book - Cliche - Argument - Freedom

Gulley’s book expands this cliche into a full-blown argument for sexual freedom. And he does...
(Excerpt) Read more at: The Aquila Report
Wake Up To Breaking News!