Andrew Rannells on Comparisons Between ‘Black Monday,’ ‘Book of Mormon’ and His Own Life

Variety | 1/10/2019 | Danielle Turchiano
Click For Photo: https://pmcvariety.files.wordpress.com/2019/01/andrew-rannells-variety-facetime-interview.jpg?w=700&h=393&crop=1

Thespian Andrew Rannells is well-known for originating the role of Elder Price in “The Book of Mormon” on Broadway, as well as appearing as Elijah on HBO’s “Girls.” Now the multi-talented performer not only lends his voice to Netflix’s animated comedy “Big Mouth” and stars opposite Don Cheadle in Showtime’s Wall Street comedy “Black Monday,” but he also authored a memoir entitled “Too Much is Not Enough.”

What made you connect with your character of Blair in “Black Monday”?

Co-creators - David - Caspe - Jordan - Cahan

Co-creators David [Caspe] and Jordan [Cahan] sat me down and told me their vision for the whole season, and the arc reminded me a lot of what my character, Elder Price, went through in “The Book of Mormon,” actually. And also very similar to me moving to New York from Nebraska, with no contacts and having to start my career from scratch. That’s a lot of what Blair is doing in “Black Monday.” He doesn’t really know anybody, he falls into this group of ragtag traders on Wall Street that are very much outsiders, and he creates this life and career. He starts off very optimistic and would like to think that business is fair and you work hard and then you’re rewarded for it, but he very quickly learns that that’s not how the world works, unfortunately, always. So he has to change his viewpoint and change his plan in order to catch up with these guys and try to become successful in this world where not everybody is that audience. I really liked that aspect and that, probably of all of the characters, goes through the biggest change. I thought it would be really fun as an actor to play somebody who’s reinventing himself over the course of a show.

Do you feel that, as time goes on, he’s changing into someone...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Variety
Wake Up To Breaking News!