Carol Burnett Really Wishes Variety Shows on TV Were Still a Thing

Variety | 1/6/2019 | Cynthia Littleton
Click For Photo: https://pmcvariety.files.wordpress.com/2019/01/carolburnett.jpg?w=700&h=393&crop=1

Carol Burnett paid emotional tribute to the medium that made her famous as she accepted the inaugural Golden Globe kudo for achievement in television at the 69th awards. But she also made a point of calling out major networks for failing to invest in high-end variety shows such as “The Carol Burnett Show,” which ran for 11 seasons on CBS.

“Nothing like our show, and I might add other variety shows at the time, could ever see the light of day today because the networks just wouldn’t spend the money,” Burnett said. “And because there are so many cable competitors, they are not going to take a chance. And sad to say today’s audiences might never know what they are — so here’s to reruns and YouTube.”

Burnett - Spoke - Childhood - Love - Movies

Burnett spoke of her childhood love of movies and her gratitude for enjoying such a long career.

“For every person who is lucky enough to be on television (there) is the belief that we’ve been given the opportunity to do something special. We have been granted a gift, a canvas to paint with our talent,” she said. “Sometimes I catch myself daydreaming about being young again and doing it all over. And then I bring myself up short when I realize how incredibly fortunate I was to be there at the right time. Because what we did then couldn’t be done today. The cost alone would be prohibitive. 28-piece, 12 dancers,...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Variety
Wake Up To Breaking News!
When seconds count, the police are only minutes away.