Ron Funches Reflects on ‘Do No Harm’ Comedy Creed in ‘Giggle Fit’ Standup Special

Variety | 1/4/2019 | Margeaux Sippell
Click For Photo: https://pmcvariety.files.wordpress.com/2017/07/ron-funches.jpg?crop=0px,131px,700px,395px&resize=700,393

Ron Funches is back and gigglier than ever.

“I feel like I’m a chef, and here’s me delivering a full course meal of exactly what I’m about,” the comedian, writer and actor says of his of first hour-long stand up special “Giggle Fit,” which premieres Jan. 4 on Comedy Central.

Know - Spin - Comedy - Projects - Album

Know for his positive spin on comedy in past projects such as his 2015 album “The Funches of Us” and a half-hour Comedy Central special in 2014, Funches makes a point not to use complaining as a crutch in his sets, preferring instead to tell jokes about the things he loves.

“I do think about how someone would feel about it when they heard it,” he says of writing his jokes. “One of the biggest creeds in comedy is to do no harm.”

Time - Comedians - Louis - CK - Fire

At a time when disgraced comedians like Louis CK are under heavy fire for leaning on bitter tirades instead of owning up to their mistakes, Funches hopes his positive-centric routine offers an alternative. “I think it just reached the point that people are getting fed up, and I’m lucky I’m here as kind of an oasis from that,” he says.

Funches is always laughing and smiling on-stage, but his soft and gentle demeanor is not all there is to him. In the last year, the comic has put himself through a dramatic transformation — he lost 140 pounds — and he’s got a newfound confidence to show for it.

Stuff - Lot - Guy - Standing - Standup

“If you look at my half-hour stuff, it’s a lot of a guy standing still and looking down and not really being confident in himself,” he says of his earlier standup. “If you watch ‘Giggle Fit,’ I’m a lot more dance-y, I’m a lot more fun. I look people in the eyes.”

Pre-weight loss, Funches was often typecast into roles playing “a lot of really...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Variety
Wake Up To Breaking News!