Ben Pearson’s Top 10 Movies of 2018

/Film | 1/2/2019 | Ben Pearson
finter (Posted by) Level 4
Click For Photo: https://d13ezvd6yrslxm.cloudfront.net/wp/wp-content/images/Mission-Impossible-Fallout-Trailer.png

2018 felt more like a warped decade than a normal 365 day span, but at least the movies that came out last year were pretty damn great. Over the next few days, Team /Film will be counting down our favorite films of the last twelve months. The fact that films like Free Solo, Destroyer, Paddington 2, Lizzie, and Black Panther ended up in my honorable mentions when they could form a respectable top 5 on their own speaks to the overall quality of the year at the movies. But enough preamble: let’s get to my top 10 films of 2018.

A high-concept premise with practically flawless execution, A Quiet Place resonated with audiences early last year for good reason: in a time when the effort of going out to the movie theater can be more of a burden than a pleasure, this movie made that trip truly worthwhile. The way co-writer/director/star John Krasinski played with sound, weaponizing one of the medium’s primary elements, was brilliant. And while the alien story can feel slightly clunky at times, I ultimately found it to be a moving family drama with a strong sense of world-building and some powerful performances from Krasinski, Emily Blunt, Millicent Simmonds, and Noah Jupe (I normally can’t stand child actors, but those two were on point here).

Church - Winter - Wind - Bright - Pepto

A small church standing against the winter wind. Bright pink Pepto Bismol swirling into a glass of brown liquor. Ethan Hawke and Amanda Seyfried’s characters going on a special trip together. These moments from writer/director Paul Schrader’s First Reformed have stayed with me for months, but they pale in comparison to the long conversation between Hawke’s Reverend Toller and Philip Etttinger’s environmentalist character Michael, in which the two debate the idea of whether or not it’s responsible to bring a child into this world...
(Excerpt) Read more at: /Film
Wake Up To Breaking News!
I find it extremely funny when people keep voting and expecting the government to change!
Tagged: