‘Bumblebee’ Screenwriter Hints About ‘Birds of Prey,’ ‘Batgirl’ and Why She Writes About Female Superheroes

Variety | 2/7/2020 | Margeaux Sippell
Click For Photo: https://pmcvariety.files.wordpress.com/2019/01/Christina-Hodson-Bumblebee.jpg?w=700&h=393&crop=1

Christina Hodson could be one of the busiest young screenwriters in Hollywood.

Her “Transformers” prequel “Bumblebee” has generated $157 million at the global box office during a crowded holiday frame. After fears of franchise fatigue for a saga that seemed to be running on fumes, the autobot origin story signaled a return to form, earning the best reviews yet.

Films - Docket - Suicide - Squad - Follow-up

With upcoming films on her docket, including the highly anticipated “Suicide Squad” follow-up “Birds of Prey (And the Fantabulous Emancipation of One Harley Quinn),” and “Batgirl,” which DC has kept very hush-hush, Hodson is shaping up to become a leading voice for women in action/superhero films.

“I think there are so many great actresses out there looking for these strong, meaty roles,” she told Variety. “Particularly in this moment, in our climate right now, we need women like that to look to, to inspire us to push and do bold things.”

Interview - Variety - Hodson - Projects - Protagonists

In a recent interview with Variety, Hodson addresses her upcoming projects, what she loves about writing female protagonists, and confirms her interest in a “Bumblebee” sequel.

How Tapping a Female Writer for the Harley Quinn Movie Changes 'Everything'

Bumblebee - Idea - Story - Girl - Car

For “Bumblebee,” how did the idea for this story of a girl and her car first come to you?

In 2007, when Spielberg was doing the press tour for the first [Transformers] movie, I remember him saying that for him, Transformers was this very simple, very timeless notion of a boy and his car. I always thought that makes so much sense. I have very fond memories of when I was 12 and I got in my dad’s old BMW. I was washing it, and I remember turning the key in the ignition for the first time, and I wasn’t really meant to. You know that magical feeling when you’re a small person and you turn the key of...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Variety
Wake Up To Breaking News!