‘Into the Dark’ Director Sophia Takal on “New Year, New You”, Blumhouse, and Female Voices

Collider | 12/30/2018 | Christina Radish
Click For Photo: http://cdn.collider.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/12/into-the-dark-suki-waterhouse-carly-chaikin-03.jpg

As part of the 12-episode Blumhouse Television anthology series Into the Dark (available to stream at Hulu), in which there’s a new installment released each month that’s inspired by a holiday, the fourth episode, called “New Year, New You,” follows a group of friends who gather for a girls’ night reunion on New Year’s Eve. Alexis (Suki Waterhouse), Danielle (Carly Chaikin), Kayla (Kirby Howell-Baptiste) and Chloe (Melissa Bergland) are high school friends who have drifted apart, so playing a round of the party game “Never, Have I Ever,” when tensions are already high and it rehashes old memories that were better left forgotten, brings their secrets to the surface in terrifying ways.

During this 1-on-1 phone interview with Collider, director Sophia Takal talked about her experience working with Blumhouse on Into the Dark, putting her own stamp on the story, why she wanted to explore the narcissistic self-care culture that exists on social media, how the film’s ending evolved, the casting process, building the horror for the pay-offs, what she learned about herself as a filmmaker through making this, and what she’s looking to do next. Be aware that there are some spoilers discussed.

Collider - Film

Collider: I really enjoyed this film, and thought it was just so creepy and unsettling.

SOPHIA TAKAL: Oh, cool! Thank you so much.

Reasons - Job - Woman - Did - Blumhouse

You’ve said that one of the reasons that you got this job is because you’re a woman. Did Blumhouse specifically tell you that that was one of the reasons they wanted you to direct this, or is that something you just felt, as you were going through the process?

TAKAL: No, they weren’t looking to hire me because I’m a woman. It was just more that they had seen Always Shine. They did comment on what I was able to bring to that movie, in terms of female...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Collider
Wake Up To Breaking News!