The terrible, horrible, no-good, very bad reason the military wants to stay in Syria

New York Post | 12/29/2018 | Staff
InLove4567 (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://thenypost.files.wordpress.com/2018/12/US_Syria.jpg?quality=90&strip=all&w=1200

On December 19, 2018, President Trump declared correctly that “we have won against ISIS,” and announced that the remaining 2,000 American troops in Syria would be withdrawn.

The president has made the right decision. Having won the war against ISIS, he does not want to lose the peace by getting into a military conflict with the Syrian dictator Bashar al-Assad’s forces, or with the Iranians or the Russians, or even with the Turks for that matter.

Father - Army - Officer - Theater - Right

As the father of an Army officer who is in theater right now, I think I have a right to an opinion. And in my opinion, the desert sands of Syria are not worth a single American life.

Everyone agrees that the commander in chief should bring our troops home from any overseas combat theater as soon as the mission is complete.

Mission

But what is the mission?

Was it the defeat of ISIS? Or is it “regime change” and “nation-building”?

President - Trump - Office - Reason - Troops

When President Trump took office, he was assured that the reason we sent troops into Syria in 2014 was to assist local Kurdish forces in destroying the Islamic State. He approved the continuation of this limited mission. This mission is now complete. The Islamic State no longer exists as a territorial entity.

To be sure, scattered bands of ISIS terrorists — numbering perhaps 500 — still operate in parts of eastern Syria. But the mopping-up operation can be done by the Turks, or by the Syrian army, or even by the Russians. It certainly does not require a continued US presence, and Trump has declared “mission accomplished.”

Washington - Foreign-policy - Swamp - Trump - Mission

The Washington foreign-policy swamp is outraged by Trump’s “mission accomplished,” calling it “precipitous” and “reckless.”

What they are not telling you is that, for them, the “mission” was never primarily about ISIS; it was about eliminating the Assad regime. The Islamic State was simply a convenient...
(Excerpt) Read more at: New York Post
Wake Up To Breaking News!