“It’s Not Purification, It’s Something Else”: Sophia Takal Scorches Social Media Self-Care Celebrities in her Blumhouse Horror Feature, New Year, New You

Filmmaker Magazine | 12/28/2018 | Aaron Hunt
Click For Photo: https://filmmakermagazine.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/12/New-Year-New-You-628x348.jpg

by Aaron Hunt

In Blumhouse’s first female-directed feature film, New Year, New You, Sophia Takal (Always Shine, Green) sticks four friends from high school (played by an all-female cast toplined by Suki Waterhouse, Carly Chaikin, Kirby Howell-Baptiste, and Melissa Bergland) and their hidden grievances into one of the women’s sealed residence for a New Year’s reunion. The four are connected, molded and torn, forever, by a tragedy in their past that Takal reveals through sharp cuts of glass shattering and blood inking through a pool. Danielle (Carly Chaikin), now a social media self-care icon who claims to mix amongst the likes of Leonardo Dicaprio and Elon Musk, has been shaped by the adversity while the envious Alexis (Suki Waterhouse), the supposed shy iconoclast with a scar, is broken by it. The other two women, Chloe (Melissa Bergland) and Kayla (Kirby Howell-Baptiste), are more or less snared at the ankles in between, dragged one way and back by the claws of the two arch enemies, who manipulate and weaponize them in their battle of passive-turned-active aggression. For a time, the warring foes are morally interchangeable but Takal’s skillful direction and breakneck pacing finally allows the film’s neutrality to shatter, with its characters’s opinions, attitudes and monstrous behaviors brought into the light.

New - Year - New - Today - Hulu

New Year, New You premieres today on Hulu.

Filmmaker: Did this script exist before Blumhouse’s Into The Dark anthology series or was it written specifically for it?

Script - Idea - Group - Women - Friends

Takal: They sent the script to me. It was a good idea: this group of women who were friends from high school [and who still] harbor jealousy and competition. Then they gave me permission to go in and play with it and shape the characters into very specific and unique women. [I was able to] hone in on the things that were interesting to me and...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Filmmaker Magazine
Wake Up To Breaking News!