CES 2019 TVs preview: Get ready for 8K AI rollable OLED with Alexa

CNET | 12/20/2018 | David Katzmaier
jolan (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://cnet4.cbsistatic.com/img/wm4SoDYR7nfGFLpDCcs_CseLIcc=/724x407/2018/10/05/3c1f4e6c-17c1-449e-8512-987512867d73/38-samsung-q900.jpg

Ready or not, the 2019 International CES -- aka Nerds in Vegas -- is just around the corner. And for TV hardware nerds like me, it's like a second Christmas.

CES is the place where TV makers unveil their latest creations, both "stuff we're going to sell this year" and "wacky concepts and new tech we may never sell, but looks hella cool." The massive booths and sprawling show floor lend themselves to big screens used in creative ways, which helps explain why CES seems more about televisions than any other kind of gadget.

TVs - CES - Guesses - Fact - TV

So what TVs can you expect at CES 2019? I have some educated guesses. In fact, most of the TV makers have already told me about a lot of the stuff they're gonna have at the show. I can't officially reveal it yet, but what you're about to read provides a pretty good approximation of what I know. That said, there's always a surprise or two in store.

Frankly, I was as surprised as anyone to learn that the coolest concept TV of last year's CES -- an OLED TV that can roll up like a poster to disappear inside a trim, little box -- is reportedly going on sale in 2019.

Answer - TV - Year - Things - TVs

Why? Aside from the obvious answer of "because they can," a roll-up TV is truly useful. As I wrote last year: "One of the worst things about big-screen TVs is the necessity for a massive swath of black plastic taking up a chunk of wall when it's turned off. With a rollable TV that's no longer an issue, and that practicality is the main reason I think LG Display will want to perfect this technology and help manufacturers bring it to market sooner rather than later."

Looks like "sooner" will win.

Sale - Get - TVs - Guy

8K for sale! Get yer 8K TVs, rich guy!

Samsung...
(Excerpt) Read more at: CNET
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Tagged: