Nacho Vigalondo on Embracing TV and Making a ‘Lost Highway’ Homage For Hulu

IndieWire | 12/19/2018 | Staff
Click For Photo: https://www.indiewire.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/12/POOKA_103_RF_0869R.jpg

The director of this year’s most unconventional Christmas special wasn’t inspired by any of the season’s trappings. Instead, he took the job so he could pay homage to David Lynch.

“Pooka!”, the latest installment of the Blumhouse-produced Hulu film series “Into the Dark,” features Nyasha Hatendi as an actor who gets in over his head when he gets a job performing as Pooka, a terrifying character for children who has inspired comparisons to Philadelphia Flyers mascot Gritty.

Script - Director - Nacho - Vigalondo - IndieWire

When reading the script, Spanish director Nacho Vigalondo told IndieWire, “the movie that came to my mind instantly was my favorite feature film — ‘Lost Highway,’ by David Lynch. I felt like, okay, this is like a ‘Lost Highway’ cover somehow.”

Without going too deeply into spoilers, this was because of a big twist near the end of the script that led to the rest of the story being told from a much more subjective viewpoint. “I don’t want to use the term dream — this movie is not a dream. Let’s say that this movie happens in an alternative reality where rules are different than rules for our world,” he said. “It’s an environment that is defined by a specific state of mind.”

Audience - Off-guard - Finale - Decision - Script

He wasn’t trying to catch his audience off-guard with the warped finale. “The first decision that I made regarding the script was, instead of telling like an unrealistic tale that goes crazy at the end, I want the craziness to infect everything from the very beginning,” he said. “I didn’t want the ending to feel like a twist that you weren’t expecting, but a confirmation that this place exists in someone’s mind, a broken mind.”

That led him to the Lynch connection. “‘Lost Highway’ is about a guy that commits a horrible atrocious crime and instead of facing the consequences, he decides to create...
(Excerpt) Read more at: IndieWire
Wake Up To Breaking News!