Mormon podcaster Gina Colvin faces excommunication feeling “saddened and enraged …

Religion News Service | 12/19/2018 | Staff
blockstyle (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://religionnews.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/11/Gina-Colvin-head-shot-2.png

Popular Mormon blogger and podcaster Gina Colvin has been called in to face a disciplinary council in the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints. Although the hearing will take place at 6:30 p.m. on December 20, that’s in New Zealand time; Utah Mormons can send a prayer Colvin’s way at 10:30 p.m. tonight Mountain Time.

Colvin herself won’t be attending, as she explains below. This interview has been edited for length and clarity.

RNS

RNS: How are you feeling?

Colvin: I don’t know how I’m feeling. Anticipating a church discipline, I feel simultaneously saddened and enraged. I feel like saying, “How dare they? How dare they judge my life, which I feel has been a life of profound Christian practice and seeking, and turn it into something that’s sinful or unworthy?” It really bothers me out of principle.

Lot - Feeling

How do I feel? I’m cross-hatched with a lot of feeling. Mostly I feel tired. To be honest, I try not to think about it much.

RNS: So I’m really not helping with that, by asking you to do this interview.

Colvin - Yeah - Thanks - Jana

Colvin: Yeah, thanks, Jana!

RNS: Why do you think your bishop is doing this?

Colvin - Direction - Stake - President - Direction

Colvin: I think he’s under direction from the stake president to do it, who assures me that he’s not under the direction of anyone else. I have to believe that because it’s what he affirms, even though I’m suspicious.

The trip wire was that I received a baptism in March and made that public. I think local leaders were willing to allow me some latitude, as long as the locus for my spiritual activity continued to be the LDS Church. The minute I took the locus of that authority away from the LDS priesthood, that tripped the wire and led to them assembling a dossier of charges against me.

People

I also think that local people had been...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Religion News Service
Wake Up To Breaking News!