Nolte: Variety’s Art Stasi Attack Clint Eastwood’s ‘Mule’ as Politically ‘Problematic’

Breitbart | 12/14/2018 | Staff
Click For Photo: https://media.breitbart.com/media/2018/12/Clintoneastwoodmule1.jpg

Although I am frequently accused of it, I have never sought to police art, nor have I ever reviewed a film based on its political point of view. The very first movie I ever reviewed for Breitbart was Steven Soderbergh’s Che, a paean to communist killer Che Guevera, and I declared every one of its 257 minutes a masterwork. Having re-watched it earlier this year, my opinion has only increased.

What’s more, I spent months putting together a list of the Top 25 Leftist Films of All-Time, Oliver Stone is one of my favorite directors, Michael Moore’s Fahrenheit 9/11 is jaw-droppingly brilliant, and my favorite movie of all time is a brutal condemnation of racism and America’s unforgivable treatment of the American Indian.

Bona - Fides - Eli - Roth - Death

If that does not prove my bona fides, I pretty much hated Eli Roth’s Death Wish remake, one of the most right-leaning mainstream movies in years, and said so.

Laying a political template over art, putting art to an ideological test, demanding Thought Conformity… These are acts of anti-art, the stuff of Stalin (literally), the stuff of police states. Being a conservative movie lover requires growing a thick skin. My beliefs are constantly under attack at the theater, but that thick skin helps me to look deeper — at the only stuff that matters in a film, which is theme and character.

Oliver - Stone - JFK - Bravura - JFK

Sure, Oliver Stone’s JFK is factually ludicrous, but outside of the bravura filmmaking what JFK is really about is the search for truth, even when it’s you against the whole world. Easy Rider’s protagonists are a couple of hippie drug dealers, but the movie’s theme is a cry for what I politically believe in above all else, which is the right of the individual to live his life however he wants, without the government or society interfering.

Which brings me...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Breitbart
Wake Up To Breaking News!