Dick Van Dyke, 93, 'Amazed' Himself with His Mary Poppins Returns Dance Number

PEOPLE.com | 12/14/2018 | Staff
Click For Photo: https://peopledotcom.files.wordpress.com/2018/12/dick-van-dyke1.jpg?crop=0px,0px,2000px,1050px&resize=1200,630

Dick Van Dyke‘s chimney-sweep dance is one of the most memorable parts of Mary Poppins — and he steals the show in the sequel, too!

The legendary 93-year-old actor dusted off his dancing shoes for Mary Poppins Returns, a sequel taking place 25 years after the original story’s ending. With Emily Blunt and Lin-Manuel Miranda in charge of carrying the movie this time, Van Dyke makes a poignant cameo in which he reminds the audience all about the magic of the first movie.

Minute - Number - Van - Dyke - PEOPLE

“The minute I heard I was going to do a little number, that sold me,” Van Dyke tells PEOPLE in the latest issue out Friday. “And I thought I could contribute by just being a little bit of a reminder of the original. And I think it turned out well. I got to jump up on a desk and do a dance number. It surprised everybody, but nobody was as surprised as I was. We did several takes of it, and I was just amazed. And I enjoyed it, of course.”

While Van Dyke is now happy about his small cameo, the actor admits that he originally wasn’t convinced by the idea...
(Excerpt) Read more at: PEOPLE.com
Wake Up To Breaking News!