Emily Blunt thought she was being asked to play JAMES BOND when she got the call for Mary Poppins

Mail Online | 12/13/2018 | Andrew Bullock For Mailonline
Click For Photo: https://i.dailymail.co.uk/1s/2018/12/13/13/7381076-0-image-a-101_1544708332932.jpg

Click For Video: https://videos.dailymail.co.uk/video/mol/2018/12/12/2346107910058458388/1024x576_MP4_2346107910058458388.mp4

She's playing the iconic nanny 54 years after Julie Andrews made the role famous.

But when Emily Blunt got the call asking her to portray Mary Poppins in this Christmas' highly-anticipated sequel Mary Poppins Returns, the actress believed she was being approached to be the next James Bond.

Something - Pipeline - Director - Rob - Marshall

'I knew something big was in the pipeline. And it was like either [director Rob Marshall] is asking me to be James Bond or Mary Poppins!' she told Rochelle Humes and Phillip Schofield on Thursday's edition of This Morning.

'Hilariously, I think I was playing a blackout drunk for Girl On The Train when I got approached about playing Mary Poppins! I of course was completely overjoyed and overwhelmed… I was just really shocked but quite quickly my thrill at playing her overwhelmed the fear.

Territory - Excitement - Version

'It is such iconic territory that you’re walking into, but it was that excitement of trying to create my own version of her.'

The A Quiet Place star admitted that she hadn’t watched the original Mary Poppins - which was released in 1964 and also starred Dick Van Dyke, who makes a cameo in the 2018 sequel - since she was a child.

Memory - Rest - World - Julie - Andrews

Emily confessed: 'I had such a profound memory of it and was spellbound by it - like the rest of the world - but I felt that I didn’t want to be intimidated by what Julie Andrews did!

'So I just read the books, and she is quite different in the books and really eccentric and weird and funny… so I did tend to go in that direction.'

On...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Mail Online
Wake Up To Breaking News!