3 Questions to Discern What I Personally Announced on Sunday Morning

Ron Edmondson | 12/13/2018 | Ron Edmondson
Click For Photo: http://ronedmondson.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/10/Fotolia_81885944_XS.jpg

If you’re a pastor then you know the tension I am about to describe in a made-up scenario.

Pastor, can you announce the next meeting of the “Faithful Followers” meeting? It’s Tuesday night at 7 at Sister Rita’s house. Everyone needs to bring their favorite dessert.”

Do you announce it or not?

It may depend on several things. The size of your church. The expected size of the event. Frankly, how much pressure you will face if you don’t.

Answer

But, it’s often not an easy answer.

When we were a church plant running over 2,500 people a week I still had people who wanted me to wish someone “Happy Birthday” from stage. The same was true when we were a church averaging over 3,000 people per week. And, sometimes the pressure came from one of our most faithful volunteers. So, regardless of church size, I understand the pressure. Do you announce or not?

Everything - Stage

But, if you want to be effective you can’t promote everything from stage. You simply can’t.

If I promote everything I wouldn’t have time to preach, nothing would really be “special”, and pretty soon people wouldn’t listen to much of what I had to say. Plus, if I promote one thing there is automatic precedent and pressure to promote another thing. Over time you’re announcing “Faithful Followers”, “Joyful Journey” and Wednesday’s afternoon coffee club.

Line

Where’s the line?

I think saying the pastor will never promote anything is the wrong answer. I realize the value in a pastor’s “endorsement”.

So, how do you decide what to personally promote?

I am assuming announcements are made by someone else or some other means on Sunday mornings. These are things I’m expected to say.

Questions - Announcements

Here are 3 questions I asked myself when I discerned making announcements I made personally:

What needed my personal promotion most?

Question

This seems like a reasonable question, right? What I...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Ron Edmondson
Wake Up To Breaking News!