Lego Voltron: Huge, a bit clunky and super fun

CNET | 12/11/2018 | Kent German
echolea (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://cnet1.cbsistatic.com/img/XboY5ZHyYX8K4G8s19f-jOg5ONY=/724x407/2018/12/06/05bcd54d-2e90-422b-a93a-b298cf8d7298/lego-voltron.jpg

It was complicated, dully repetitive at times, and it took two people most of the day, but building the Lego Voltron: Defender of the Universe made for an awesome time.

The 2,321-piece set, which went on sale in August, depicts the original lion Voltron from 1984, rather than the one shown on the more recent Netflix reboot. That's fine with me since, like CNET's Roger Cheng, I was obsessed with the first show as a kid. It was part of a series of repackaged Japanese cartoons from the 1980s that I loved, including Robotech, Tranzor Z and the vehicle Voltron (don't @ me).

Years - Metal - Lion - Voltron - Toy

Up until four years ago, I still had my original die-cast metal lion Voltron toy set, but I gave it away to a fellow fan friend prior to moving to London. As that set is hers to keep even though I've returned to the US, I had to get the Lego version as a replacement. Last week, I finally put it together with CNET's Jason Parker. We also filmed a video, which you can watch above.

With five lions, a sword and shield, 400 pages of instructions and a staggering array of bricks in a rainbow of colors, I expected that it would take hours to build. In that regard I was correct -- Jason and I worked for almost five hours, starting with the yellow lion and finishing with the sword.

He's mighty impressive when put together.

It was fascinating watching the lions take shape, each with their own distinctive features, like the yellow lion's tail fins and the black lion's folding ears. A huge bonus is that all of the 16 parts...
(Excerpt) Read more at: CNET
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Appeasement - when you're what's for dinner!
Tagged: