‘Birds of Prey’ Writer Christina Hodson Explains the Long Title, Teases Her ‘Batgirl’ Movie

Collider | 12/9/2018 | Vinnie Mancuso
Click For Photo: http://cdn.collider.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/12/margot-robbie-harley-quinn.jpg

It was a bit surprising to learn that Birds of Prey (And the Fantabulous Emancipation of Harley Quinn)—a title that definitely looked like writer Christina Hodson slapped on the cover of the script as a joke—was, in fact, the official name of the Suicide Squad spin-off starring Margot Robbie‘s Harley Quinn. As it turns out, “a joke that became a real thing” isn’t so far off from that mouthful of a title’s origin story.

When Collider’s Christina Radish spoke to Hodson about the writer’s other massive franchise movie, Bumblebee, she revealed that the title had basically been tacked on since the beginning:

Film - End - Title - Birds - Prey

How did the film end up with the title of Birds of Prey (And the Fantabulous Emancipation of Harley Quinn)? Whose idea was that?

HODSON: I don’t know if I’m officially allowed to say, but there’s no reason why not. It was an unofficial aka, when I wrote the script. I added it about a year or so ago, almost exactly as it is, just as an aka. I didn’t think we’d ever use it. We’d always used a working title, so I just had it as a cheeky little thing, on the front cover. And then, when we were talking about a title and brainstorming, we all kept drifting back to that one.

Title - Lot - Tone - Film

It also seems like a title that says a lot about what the tone of the film will be.

HODSON: Exactly!

Hodson - Script - Warner - Bros - Batgirl

Hodson will also be penning the script for Warner Bros.’ upcoming Batgirl standalone film, a role she took...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Collider
Wake Up To Breaking News!