IFFAM Actress in Focus: Yao Chen Talks Performing, Producing and Public Pressure

Variety | 12/9/2018 | Patrick Frater
Click For Photo: https://pmcvariety.files.wordpress.com/2018/12/yao-chen-cr-res.jpg?w=700&h=393&crop=1

Macao’s Actress in Focus is a woman who has trained as a boxer, likes British actors, especially Benedict Cumberbatch and Jeremy Irons, and is now setting out her stall as a producer.

Yao Chen has built a career over 20 years thanks to TV shows including “My Own Swordsman,” and films including “If You Are The One 2,” Firestorm” and “Chronicles of the Ghostly Tribe.” She has three more in this year’s IFFAM: “Caught in the Web” from 2012; last year’s “Journey To The West: The Demons Strike Back”; and the current ‘Lost, Found.” On Monday she will be in conversation, on stage with producer Nansun Shi.

Variety - Insight - Pressures - Celebrity - Role

First, she gives Variety an insight into the high pressures of Chinese celebrity, her role as one of the world’s most followed bloggers, and where she wants to take her career next.

Why accept the IFFAM position as Actress in Focus?

Macau - Films - Part - Festival - Year

“I have been to Macau before to promote other films, but not as part of the festival. Last year (my husband and I) established a production company called Bad Rabbit Pictures. We hope to discover what film makers in other countries are thinking and doing. If actors limit themselves to only our own circles we cannot learn.

“My first profession is as an actress. But I started the company because I want to make the films that I am interested in.”

Please - Film - Career - Sentences - Understanding

Please describe you film career in just a few sentences – is it what you imagined? what is your understanding of success?

“Everyone has dreams, but not everyone has the opportunity to achieve them When I was young, I was very interested in the characters I saw in films and on TV. So now, as a grown up I can be the actress that I want. In that way I am both lucky and successful.

“I have been...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Variety
Wake Up To Breaking News!