GLAAD: Kevin Hart ‘Shouldn’t Have Stepped Down’ as Oscars Host, but Used Gig to Bring Unity

IndieWire | 12/7/2018 | Staff
Click For Photo: https://www.indiewire.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/12/shutterstock_9795340rr.jpg

GLAAD President and CEO Sarah Kate Ellis has weighed in on the Kevin Hart Oscars fiasco, but not in the way most people might expect. In a statement given to The Wrap, Ellis criticized Hart for stepping down as the host of the 2019 Academy Awards, saying that Hart could have shown his growth by remaining the host and bringing awareness to LGBTQ issues.

“Kevin Hart shouldn’t have stepped down; he should have stepped up,” Ellis said. “Hart’s apology to LGBTQ people is an important step forward, but he missed a real opportunity to use his platform and the Oscars stage to build unity and awareness.”

Interview - CNN - Ellis - GLAAD - Hart

In an interview with CNN, embedded below, Ellis said GLAAD was hoping Hart would have used the hosting gig as a “teachable moment” for both himself and the nation at large. Hart was announced as Oscars host on December 4, but soon after he was called out on social media for his history of homophobic jokes.

One controversial joke from Hart’s 2010 comedy special, “Seriously Funny,” included a bit where the comedian thought about how he would react if his son grew up as a gay man. “One of my biggest fears is my son growing up and being gay,” Hart said in the special. “That’s a fear. Keep in mind, I’m not homophobic.  . . . Be happy. Do what you want to do. But me, as a heterosexual male, if I can...
(Excerpt) Read more at: IndieWire
Wake Up To Breaking News!
If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much room.