Arrow Season 7 Episode 8 Review: “Unmasked”

TVOvermind | 3/19/2012 | Chris King
Click For Photo: https://www.tvovermind.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/12/Arrow-7.08.jpg

“Unmasked” is the most divisive episode of Arrow this season and quite possibly one of the most hotly debated hours in years, and it’s mainly due to the final string of scenes that close out the episode, as it’s revealed that Diaz is still alive and Dig and Lyla apparently need his help, Oliver and Felicity appear to have grown even further apart from each other while he was in prison than either of them realized, and Robert Queen’s daughter, a long-lost half-sister of Oliver’s, is the person behind the new Green Arrow mask. Of those three major moments, I have only issues with one, so let’s get it out of the way.

The fact that Diggle and Lyla appear to be keeping Diaz’s survival a secret in order to use him for whatever mission they have at ARGUS may fit with the characterization of the pod person the writers have replaced John Diggle with this year, but this choice only adds to my frustrations with his Season 7 arc, especially due to how inconsistent it is with Dig’s other behavior throughout the episode. In “Unmasked,” we are reminded of the person that Diggle used to be, from the warmth he shows at the ceremony honoring Oliver to the moment when he stands by his best friend in the broken-down bunker and brings him the Green Arrow suit, an action that serves as Diggle relinquishing the frustration, jealousy, and anger he felt towards Oliver last season.

Week - Look - Diggle - Oliver - Felicity

After last week’s subtle but powerful look from Diggle, when he watched Oliver and Felicity reunite, I believed he was moving forward as a character, back to the Dig we knew and loved, and his behavior during the first half of “Unmasked” aligns with this theory. However, his final act with Lyla, if it is what...
(Excerpt) Read more at: TVOvermind
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Nie wieder, unelected bureaucrat's running our country